Monday, February 23, 2009

Eveything is Already Blooming!

I was forced by a power failure to go into the yard to re-set the automatic sprinklers, so checked a few plants. The Helleborus which was entirely green, including the flowers, when I got it last year, is blooming with pink flowers! Pretty good performance for complete neglect! Do the flowers change color due to soil acidity levels, like hydrangrias? See the many, nice big buds on it? Nice, huh?

The stephanotis isn't doing as well, one of the growing tips looks like got cold damaged, however, the other tips look fine. No buds, though, probably not warm enough. Here's a picture of its flowers from last summer. Such wonderful fragrance and tough flowers.

Unfortunately, the daphne has needed repotting for a long time. It's blooming, and smelling just fabulous, but the blossoms are small, with small leaves on long leafless stalks. I need help to move all my plants around. The lime tree out-grew its half barrel despite root pruning only last year. Ditto for the Nagami kumquat, rosemary, night blooming jasmine, several English roses...

The weather is getting warm and bright enough to move the miniature pomegranite that is wintering indoors, out. It's blooming too. The orchids did well over the winter so they should be sent for spring/summer vacations! That's a rack just outside my front door. So much to do!

Maybe some gardening friends would trade their labor for lunch and refrushments?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maria, I need to use a different ID with this blog! I have a blog on another website which I cross post with another blog on this account. For some reason, it started cross posting from this blog, too. However, I can't remember how to add on as a contributor to this blog (or to remove this ID from this blog). I hope this makes sense!

Unknown said...

The lime tree out-grew its half barrel despite root pruning only last year.

I accidentally killed my little bearrs lime tree last year!

Maria Tseng said...

Hi Kobico. I think your other blog must have a link to this blog and that's why these posts are appearing there. I know this blog does NOT have a link to your other blog.

If you will email me, we can discuss further how to fix this. maria.tseng at gmail dot com.